Episode Five: Defining your goals
Reviewing Your Criteria with your Real Estate Professional:
There are many key criteria that you need to know when you sit down with your
real estate agent before looking for properties to buy.
MAKE A LIST
- What is your budget?
- When do you plan to move, your timelines?
- Do you rent now and do you need to give 60-90 days notice to your landlord?
- Where do you want to live? Do you have young children and need to be near a particular school, family, friends, places of worship, and stores?
- If you are an Empty Nester and are thinking of Downsizing, where would you like to live? In the same neighbourhood where you have lived all your life, or in a new area, perhaps in the city, close to everything and not needing a car. Maybe you are looking for an urban condo after living in the suburbs for years.
- What type of home are you looking for? A condo, a detached home, a semi or a townhouse? Also, will this be your principal residence, a vacation home or an investment property?
- If you want to live in a house, are you prepared to look after the garden, the snow shovelling, the roof, and all the house maintenance required?
- Condo living is a very different lifestyle. Do you prefer a high-rise, mid-rise or low-rise? Do you want a balcony, parking, a full-time Concierge, a gym and other amenities? Are pets allowed?
- It is important to select a real estate lawyer to close the deal.
- In whose name(s) will the property be in?
These are the some of the main criteria that you will need to establish first, before house hunting.